The big day
A 24-hour gaming marathon is a heroic feat and tired thumbs aren’t the only side effects. So make sure you look after yourself to stay on top of your game.
We want you to enjoy your Game Heroes challenge so here are some important tips on taking care of your body and mind during the event.
- Stay well hydrated and eat food like fruit, veg, lean protein and nuts to keep energy levels up.
- Avoid caffeine except maybe the odd energy drink on the home straight.
- Take plenty of screen breaks - walk about, stretch … hey, you could even dance on stream!
- Get plenty of sleep the night before. And, if you do get tired, take a nap and complete Game Heroes when you wake up.
- If you feel dizzy at any point, stop playing!
Please remember, if you’re worried about your health, safety or ability to take part – in any way at all – talk to a medical professional.
No matter how much fun you’re having, 24 hours is a long time to game for. Here are some good ways to keep yourself motivated.
- Keep your eyes on the prize – remember that you’re doing this for a great cause.
- Make it a team effort. Team up, tag in other players and spur each other on.
- Mix up the games to help keep it all fresh, especially if you’re lone wolfing it.
- Create a buzz on social media to motivate yourself. You’ll find everything you need, like bragging badges, in our Tools section.
- Stream your challenge on Twitch or YouTube with a link to your JustGiving page. This way, people can watch you do any forfeits and nominate you for new ones; for a donation of course!
- Add our Game Heroes branded Twitch overlay to your stream.
We’ve thought of some great gaming challenges to make the time fly on your epic day.
- Try to complete a whole series of games – all the Uncharteds or all the Halos, anyone?
- Take a League Two football team to a Champions League Final on FIFA.
- Find a record for a game you love (a lap record on Gran Turismo, for example) and try to beat it.
- Hold competitions with mates and keep a rankings table.
- See if you can 100% complete a sandbox game like Grand Theft Auto within 24 hours.